Sunday, November 15, 2009

Making biscuits & memories

I have been thinking about my mother and how thankful I am that God blessed me with her being my mother. She was the best! As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, I can't help but think about her wonderful and delicious cooking. She could make the best chicken and dumplings, dressing, pies, biscuits, cakes, fried chicken, cube steak, congealed salads, potato salad, you name it, she made it well. I have never been able to make biscuits like she did, let's face it, I could brick a house with mine. Her's were light and featherly. Now, she did show me, several times how to make them, but I could NEVER get the hang of it. She had one bowl that she always made her biscuits up in, she'd sift her flour in the bowl, make a well using her hands, pour buttermilk in the well, then pour just the right amount of oil, and start working the dough with her hand until she had the dough made into one huge blob then she'd use the same hand to pinch off the biscuits and she'd place them in an iron skillet with just a touch of oil and bake for 20 minutes or so. It would take about two of her biscuits to make a Kelly biscuit. She always got a big kick out of me making "her" biscuits. She'd watch me and laugh at how messy my hand would get from the flour, milk and oil, I'd have it all up my arm, all over me and all over the kitchen. Our biscuit cooking session would always end with her shaking her head at me and saying, "for the life of me, I don't know what you're doing wrong". I am so thankful for the times we spent and the memories we made in her kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment